Necessary application solutions for the adoption of new types of energy within the area and outside of it, are developed (further) and implemented through the historically strong energy cluster that exists in the area. By developing and applying key technologies, The Economic Board’s iconic Energy cluster creates a basis for the realisation of innovations, which in turn have a powerful influence on the societal challenges surrounding the energy transition. This is necessary to achieve climate targets and speed up the energy transition; it also offers economic opportunities, however.
The iconic cluster Energy purposely focuses on increasing the sustainability of the energy supply and battery capacity. Historically, the energy sector has always been well represented in the region. The main focus is now on realising the Connectr Energy Innovation Lab as the main flagship project of the cluster.
Within the cluster Energy, all sorts of application solutions for new types of energy are developed in the region. We are primarily focusing on the further development of key technologies in the energy domain. Furthermore, it is important that supply and demand is set in motion in the energy chains, to allow those new key technologies to get established and applied. We are focusing on increasing the sustainability of the energy supply and battery capacity and are investing significantly in the development and application of hydrogen technologies. This also allows us to align with the Green Deal and Horizon missions from Europe.
For the Energy cluster, we are using the following three spearheads:
- Electrical power technology
Ensuring that the power grid is able to handle the key role (integration of sustainable sources and new users, sector coupling) in increasing sustainability, both now and in the future;
- Sustainable powertrains
Speeding up innovations that lead to reduction of greenhouse emissions for both mobile and stationary applications, through sustainable fuels;
- Electrochemical (H2/battery) ene rgy storage
Ensuring grid balancing and supply security of sustainable energy as well as increased sustainability of energy use in transport and logistics.
In order to set supply and demand in motion in the chains and scale up production, new business models are needed. For that reason, entrepreneurs in start-ups and scale-ups are challenged by the cluster Energy to come up with new business propositions.
We initiate activities and support projects that
- Foster the exchange between knowledge institutions and businesses and, in doing so, ensure improved alignment of education (at professional and academic levels) with the job market (in the energy domain). This means that projects also contribute to the national Human Capital Agenda of the Top Sector Energy;
- Attract applied research, innovation consortiums, pilot and demonstration projects, speed these up and make them visible. In doing so, the Innovation Programme increases the impact of these projects on the economy, energy transition and increased sustainability of the area;
- Reinforce the Energy cluster by stimulating opportunities for new business activities (start-ups and scale-ups) and cashing in on possibilities for international growth.
By developing and applying key technologies, the iconic cluster Energy creates a basis for the realisation of innovations, which in turn have a powerful influence on the societal challenges surrounding the energy transition. This is necessary to achieve climate targets and speed up the energy transition; it also offers economic opportunities, however. In the coming years, the cluster will mainly be focused on the further development of important key technologies and making these applicable, so that the area can grow into a true European energy hotspot.
- We will have moved from cluster development to mission-driven innovations, and connections will have also been made between societal themes and key technologies.
- We will have developed a powerfully attractive regional business climate and the cluster Energy will have become a hotspot for developments in hydrogen and battery technology as well as smart grid applications.
- The Arnhem – Nijmegen area, including Wageningen, will have become the place where intensive collaboration between research institutions, innovative businesses and living-labs energy applications is developed (further) and implemented most rapidly in practical situations;
- The New Energy Living Lab IPKW – called Connectr – will have been physically realised as a landing area for energy innovation programmes and as a showroom of the European hotspot area we will be for the continued development towards practical application of technology in the energy transition.
Are you working on an initiative in a triple helix that is aimed at the spearheads and ambitions of the cluster, and do you reckon that it might help improve the cluster Smart Sustainability? There are various ways in which The Economic Board can further projects.
For the iconic cluster Energy, an initiative needs to contribute to the further development and application of key technology for the sustainable energy transition within the cluster and align with developments and sales markets surrounding our area.
If the Board issues a positive opinion, we will assist the initiative by e.g. helping to arrange possible co-financing, access to the Investment Agenda, additional support, creating opportunities and exchanging knowledge.
We provide further details about the process and criteria here. You can also contact the civic entrepreneur.
Civic entrepreneur cluster EnergyJeroen Herremans is the civic entrepreneur of the iconic cluster Energy. As the team captain, he works to promote the further development and up-scaling of an innovative energy cluster within the area.
Read more about the details of the cluster Energy in the Tactical Plan. Apart from the public version, you can read and/or download the entire document to the right here.